• Hunting accidents

    Every year since 1998, the Office national de la chasse et de la faune sauvage (ONCFS) (National office of hunting and wildlife) has conducted an investigation on hunting accidents. The latter accounts for an average of 170 per year, among which about twenty are deadly.

    About 95% of accidents occur during the act of hunting and the remaining 5% take place during connected tasks (gun cleaning, etc.) 86% of these accidents concern hunters and their companions, whilst 14% affect non-hunters. In 75% of cases, they take place during group hunts (such as wild boar beats for example). The vast majority of accidents occur on Sundays, when non-hunters are also present.

    The above statistics do not include deaths occurring a long while after as a consequence of the accident: these are wrongly put in the wounded category, which number is 10 times superior to that of deaths.

    Also, and most gravely, domestic accidents caused by hunting weapons are not counted in these statistics, despite their incredibly large quantity.

    We recommend the late Baudoin de MENTEN’s blog called “La buvette des alpages”, wherein he kept track of all the hunting accidents.

    The consequences of this insecurity in the countryside affect millions of peaceful users and enjoyers of nature (walkers, mountain bikers, hikers, joggers, etc.), as well as restrict their outings for fear of falling prey to a stray bullet. Also, numerous touristic activities, such as bed and breakfasts, are highly penalised by hunting, as understandably tourists do not want to risk their lives.

    Hunting is the only pastime, which kills people who are not practitioners and are not even attending the event!

    Number of deaths due to hunting

    Below you will find the official numbers of the last years:

    2000-2001: 186 hunting accidents, including 23 fatalities
    2001-2002: 167 hunting accidents, including 40 fatalities
    2002-2003: 181 hunting accidents, including 29 fatalities
    2003-2004: 201 hunting accidents, including 29 fatalities
    2004-2005: 167 hunting accidents, including 26 fatalities
    2005-2006: 169 hunting accidents, including 24 fatalities
    2006-2007: 179 hunting accidents, including 24 fatalities
    2007-2008: 163 hunting accidents, including 15 fatalities
    2008-2009: 146 hunting accidents, including 22 fatalities
    2009-2010: 174 hunting accidents, including 19 fatalities
    2010-2011: 131 hunting accidents, including 18 fatalities
    2011-2012: 143 hunting accidents, including 16 fatalities
    2012-2013: 179 hunting accidents, including 21 fatalities
    2013-2014: 114 hunting accidents, including 16 fatalities
    2014-2015: 122 hunting accidents, including 14 fatalities
    2015-2016: 146 hunting accidents, including 10 fatalities
    2016-2017: 143 hunting accidents, including 16 fatalities including 2 non-hunters
    2017-2018: 113 hunting accidents, including 13 fatalities including 3 non-hunters
    2018-2019: 131 hunting accidents, including 7 fatalities

    The ONCFS states that out of 122 reported accidents, 22 victims are non-hunters.